The Organ

This is the fourth instrument to lead the music here during the last 150 years. A small organ in the west gallery was replaced by a new instrument in the Lady Chapel. This was built by J W Walker in 1880 and then rebuilt and greatly enlarged by Harrison and Harrison in 1914, eventually being positioned in the eastern most part of the Lady Chapel, hidden behind a ceiling to floor curtain, helping the sound immensely! In 1975 an appeal was launched to provide the church with the present organ which is located in the south transept (a medieval stone piscine in the east wall, which indicated the position of an altar, can unfortunately no longer be seen as it is obscured by the organ casing). It was built by Nicholson’s of Worcester at a cost of £25,000 and was dedicated in 1976 by Lord Ramsey, the then retired Archbishop of Canterbury. The instrument incorporates the Harrison pedal Open diapason rank and the Bourdon and Dulciana ranks from the 1880 Walker organ.

Website : beachshore