The black floor slab in the north Aisle is the only one now remaining indicating the family burial vaults which formerly occupied much of the underfloor area. It is thought to be stone by which the crypt was finally sealed in the 1850s when such interments ceased.

The two 14th century windows, like those of the south aisle, have pointed cinque-foiled heads. They were completely restored externally by Pearson in 1880. The glass was designed by the Gothic Revival architect, Sir Ninian Comper (1864–1960) whose signature, a strawberry sprig curling in a ‘C’ can be seen in the lower right hand corner of each window. The window to the left of the font depicts St Anselm and St George, the patrons of two of our daughter churches. The one on the right portrays St Agnes and Queen Bertha and is in memory of Agnes Bertha Marshall, who was the founder of Marshall’s School of cookery, and lived locally.

 

The Font   The 15th century octagonal font with a moulded upper and lower edge and quatre-foiled panelled sides which enclose a foliage boss is situated between these two windows. There are also flowered bosses on the lower moulding. The stem and moulded base are also octagonal. At one time the font stood at the west end of the north aisle. It was moved in 1859 to a position near the west door, then in 1880 to the south door, and to its present position in 1958. The early 20th century wooden font cover and its counterpoise were given by a former vicar in memory of his wife. 
     
The Baptism Icon  

In the north wall of the aisle behind the font is a doorway which was probably blocked up in 1880. In this blocked-up doorway is a baptism icon which was blessed in January 2006 and is a reminder to us of our own baptism and the vows we have made.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


There are two replica church brasses on the wall. One represents a chrisom child (a child who died within one month of baptism) and was buried in a so-called chrisom cloth as a shroud. The second brass replica bears the inscription “Here underlyeth the bodye of Anne Bedingfeld, the daughter of Eustace Bedingfeld, gent, who dep’ted this lyfe ye xxiiith of February 1580, and was buryed at the charge of Margery Draper, widow, late wife of John Draper, citizen, and bere brewer of London, her grandmother.” It is considered that the two brasses relate to each other.

Website : beachshore