The Friends of Pinner Parish Church Events

Sunday Afternoon Teas are served from May until the end of September (3.00 pm to 5.00 pm) in the church hall complex. Home made cakes are a speciality. 

On Sundays there are no restrictions on parking, so the church makes a good base for exploring the village.

The small book “Ten Walks Around Pinner,” published by the Pinner Association, may be bought from Pinner Library in Marsh Road (phone 020 8866 7827 to check opening hours).

Recent article from our Parish Review magazine:

AGM Sunday 14 May

We were pleased that so many people attended our AGM.

The Friends were thanked by the Vicar for their contribution to the restoration of the Tombs.

***

Here is the history of the BELLAMY family as researched by Pat Clarke, our local historian.

The Friends are very grateful to her for passing this information on to us.

The Bellamy family in Pinner and their tomb.

The Bellamy Tomb

The chest or table tomb near the north-west corner of the church tower is of a very simple 18th century type, very hard to date on style alone.

Inscriptions

Here is what is known of the inscriptions upon the tomb.

1) From a check of the memorials in Pinner Churchyard made 7.9.1983, by Pinner Local History Society:

(south side) “Beneath this tomb lyeth the remains of Mr William Bellamy….this life…..”

side) “Beneath this tomb is also deposited the mortal remains of Mr William Bellamy…died….”

2) From a record of the memorials in Pinner Churchyard made in July 1902 by person unknown:

“Beneath this tomb lieth the remains of Mr William Bellamy who d. 10 July 1781 aged 46, also of his children, viz. George d.1 June 1776 aged 21 months, Maurice, d. 7 Feb. 1778 aged 2 years 1 month, Maria, d. 10 Oct. 1783 aged 4 years 3 months”

(Note from Pat Clarke: the parish registers give the year of Bellamy’s death as 1784, not 1781.)

The Bellamy Family in Pinner

William Bellamy and his wife Mary ran the White Hart in Pinner during the first part of the 18th century.

Documents place their premises, described as a cottage with an orchard, on the site of the present 32 High Street Pinner. A conveyance dated 27. 9. 1737 described William Bellamy as a victualler. He was first listed as an alehouse-keeper in Pinner in 1731, and in the 1759 list his place was named as The White Hart. No subsequent White Hart licensee was a Bellamy. About 1760 the premises were acquired by John Bodimead who eventually replaced them with the present 32 High Street.

William Bellamy was not a Pinner man but had married Mary Bird of Pinner, who inherited the property. She was buried in Pinner on 21st October 1739, and he on 30th April 1760. They had four children, all of whom were baptised in Pinner. Two died in infancy and were buried in Pinner.

Their eldest son, William, also had four children, none of whom were baptised in Pinner. However, his three youngest, who died in infancy, were buried in Pinner, as was he himself on 16th July 1784. His widow, under her new married name of Sharpe, was buried in Pinner on 4th March 1803, a few months before their eldest son, another William, was buried on 20th June 1803. (The Pinner registers show the burial on 4th March 1803 of “Anne Sharpe wife of Rev. John Sharpe of Clapham and formerly wife of William Bellamy” that is, the wife of William who died in 1784.)

This pattern of burial but not baptism suggests that the descendants of William and Mary Bellamy did not live in Pinner even though they were brought back here for burial. The chest tomb in the churchyard might have been made by or for the first William Bellamy whose children and grandchildren were brought back for burial in the family vault, or by his son, the second William Bellamy, who chose to be buried in the parish of his birth. I do not think we shall know without knowledge of the full inscription.

Note from P Clarke: E.M.Ware, in Pinner in the Vale, note 246, writes “Cornerways...was probably the home of the Bellamy family whose vault can be seen just opposite”.

Cornerways was the timber-framed house at the junction of Church Lane and High Street, currently unoccupied. Despite searching, I have found nothing to link the Bellamys with this property. My identification of the building before the present 32 High Street as Bellamy’s is based on sifting records for that and neighbouring properties.

Patricia A Clarke

14 May 2017

The Friends 100 Club

At the time of writing some fifty people have shown interest in joining the club. We would like more to join this fundraising enterprise to help raise funds for restoration of the church at the same time giving you a chance to win a cash prize.

Annual membership for each member is £24.00 to be paid by the end of June. The membership list will be closed on 30 June so that the first draw can take place in July.

Similar clubs are running successfully so we are not pioneers. For the first year we will be called “The Friends of Pinner Parish Church 50 plus Club 2017”.

In fairness membership will be limited to two subscriptions per household. The monthly prize will be £40.00.

For legal reasons the club is being run as a form of private lottery. To join you must be either a member of “St John’s” or of “The Friends of Pinner Parish Church”.

Please make your cheque for £24.00 (or £48.00 for a double membership) payable to “The Friends of Pinner Parish Church” and send to Lewis Beddison at 14, Hazeldene Drive, Pinner , HA5 3NJ

as soon as you can.

1 year’s membership = 12 coffees per year

"The Friends 100 Club" list will close at the end of June, so hurry to register your name by contacting isabel@beddison.plus.com or phone 020 8866 3475. You must be over 16 to join.

​​

 

Website : beachshore